Jann Tilzey of Western Discovery gets lots of feedback from travel agents and golfers booking golf vacations in Reno through her 4 Reno Golf.
One travel agent said: "I had never been to Reno and expected a mini-Vegas. What a pleasant surprise to find a place that is not only beautiful geographically, but loaded with great golf courses, restaurants and entertainment. Although the properties are smaller and less "pizazzy" than Vegas, they are, in my opinion better."And the golf tracks can hold their own, too.
Red Hawk Golf Club at Wingfield Springs in the nearby town of Sparks offers two excellent choices -- the Robert Trent Jones II designed Lakes course and the Hale Irwin designed Hills course. North of the Reno, Wildcreek Golf Club is set in the foothills of the mountains and is an affordable alternative to some of the area's pricier plays. You can play Reno's most talked about hole, the par-3 15th at Lake Ridge. Don't let the 231 yards scare you, because there is a 120 foot drop from tee to green.
Reno is less than an hour north of Lake Tahoe and Carson City. The Reno-Tahoe International Airport is nearby and you can get to Reno by means of I-395.
Other area courses of note include Wolf Run Golf Club and Arrow Creek. Montreaux Golf and Country Club is an annual stop on the PGA Tour as well. Golfers will find visiting these Reno courses you will not only find tracks that match the quality and beauty of Las Vegas, but are also considerably easier to get on.
Las Vegas - Reno
- By sea or by hills: pick your poison at Red Hawk
- Top 10 scenic holes in Las Vegas
- Ready for a challenge? Try Las Vegas' 10 toughest courses
- Wolf Run Golf Club Graduates with High Honors
- Lake Ridge Golf Club: No Time Like the Present in Reno
- ArrowCreek: Reno's Best Kept Secret
- Red Hawk Golf Club at Wingfield Springs
- D'Andrea Country Club: High Desert Golf at its Best
- There’s No Gamble In Reno’s Golf Buffet
- The "Divine Nine" Tour: A True "Day" of Golf in Reno
- On The Road To Lake Tahoe-Reno
- Golf, resorts, gambling making Reno a destination
- Reno-Lake Tahoe: Spectacular, Diverse Golf
- Sports Express Provides Solution to the Traveling Golf Clubs
- Las Vegas Paiute Resort’s Snow Mountain Course: Peaceful Escape From Glitter
- Las Vegas Paiute Resort's Wolf Course has quite a bite if the wind is howling
- Las Vegas Paiute Resort: A Model of Consistency
- Las Vegas Paiute Resort: An Oasis in the Desert?
- Las Vegas Paiute Resort: There’s More Pete Dye Coming